With summer coming to an end and fall right around corner, that only means one thing in New Braunfels…fair day is just around the corner! The Comal County Fair is the biggest and baddest county fair in the state of Texas. As New Braunfels natives, we are experts on Comal County Fair Day. We wanted to share all our tips to having the best day ever, so we compiled a list of our top ten things to do on Fair Day Friday, September 23.
Here’s a list of the must-dos of Comal County Fair Day:
1. Glab your lawn chairs and umbrellas and stake out your spot on the parade route! Locals don’t mess around with getting the best spot to watch the parade, so come early to snag your seat! The Parade starts at 10am. The parade route will begin at the corner of San Antonio and Clemens Street, travel down San Antonio St, across the Comal River Bridge, and end in Prince Solms Park.
2. Mosey on down to the Cowboy breakfast from 7:30am- 9:30am and enjoy our homemade Jalapeno Cheddar Biscuits and Gravy with Mom Tart! Monte Good’s Honky Tonk Trio will get your feet tapping while you enjoy a variety of breakfast items from downtown businesses for free! Bring your appetite and a donation to benefit the Sally M. Kingsbury Sarcoma Research Foundation and the Comal County Fair Scholarship and don’t forget your free hug from Mom Tart.
3. Watch the Parade! It starts promptly at 10am!
4. When you have had your fill of floats and drumlines, head over to the bakery to cool off with a drink and snack before you head off to the fair!
5. Head on down to the Fairgrounds to get your fill of funnel cake and carnival rides! Admission for students is free until 6pm.
6. Check out the all the cute animals at the baby barnyard, our personal favorite is the baby chick corral! Other activities for the kiddos include the D&D kid zone, stick horse races, and the kid’s rodeo clown contest.
7. Eat a famous pork chop on a stick. (guaranteed to be the best thing you have ever put in your mouth) Check out all the baked good and canned good entries!
8. Hop aboard the Ferris wheel for amazing views of New Braunfels and Gruene, don’t forget an epic selfie! #fairdayfun
If you need a pick me up before heading home, stop by 2tarts for a night cap. Enjoy espresso and Comal County fair themed decorated cookies to cap off the BEST FAIR DAY EVER!!!
We hope this list helps with making your Fair Day the best one yet! Visit the Comal County Fair website for more information at www.comalcountyfair.org
Photos Courtesy of Ashlee Newman Photography